electrical failure in power outlet isolated

Getting Ready for Halloween? Remember These Electrical Safety Tips

When the summer’s heat starts to die down in Conway, you might start thinking ahead to how much fun you can have during October. Many local residents love the fall and especially Halloween. If you’d like to decorate your home so that it has the right level of spookiness, keep some safety tips in mind. These can help you prevent an electrical fire.

The Dangers of Overloading

Halloween has gotten more elaborate in some areas of Arkansas over the years. Some of us may have used homemade decorations in the past, but now, there are so many commercially available products. Just go into any warehouse store or home improvement place and you’ll see giant inflatables and lights. These can be perfectly safe to use, but one danger is that you could overload a circuit.

Certain areas of your home are connected to the same circuit, and if too many things are plugged in at the same time, the capacity of the electrical wiring could be exceeded. In this case, your circuit breaker could trip and shut off. Potentially, a fuse could burn out or your wiring could start to overheat. This could melt the insulation around your wiring and cause a spark. If the situations are right, that spark could lead to a fire.

Try not to plug in too many items to an outlet. If your circuits are often tripping, you may need your panel to be upgraded. At Money Electric, we’re often called out to properties around Conway for this type of work. If necessary, we can upgrade a breaker system so that it can better handle a tough electrical load. Some of the older houses in our area actually aren’t up to code. Perhaps they once were, but it’s no longer the case because building standards have gotten better. If we notice anything wrong, we can address it.

Candle Safety

Candles can create a magical atmosphere during Halloween. If you light candles, remember that they can pose a big safety risk. Candles can be knocked over by accident or be placed too close to flammable items like decorations, curtains, or anything made out of wood or paper. Keep an eye on your candles and be sure to snuff them out when you leave the room or go to sleep. You could also get battery-operated candles that create the same effect.

Keep Indoor Decorations Inside

The last tip is to pay attention to whether decorations are intended for outdoor or indoor use. Indoor items don’t have protection from the rain that sometimes comes our way in the fall. Water can damage decorations and lead to shorts, and a short circuit could create a fire.

Being safe with your Halloween decorating is simple to do if you remember the tips provided. If you need any help, contact us at Money Electric.